Home Remedies to Reduce Cholesterol Levels
Cholesterol is an organic chemical substance classified as a waxy steroid of fat. It is a fat (lipid) which is produced by the liver and is crucial for normal body functioning. Cholesterol is an essential structural component of mammalian cell membranes and is required to establish proper membrane permeability and fluidity. Cholesterol exists in the outer layer of every cell in our body and has multiple functions. In addition to its importance within cells, cholesterol is an important component in the hormonal systems of the body to manufacture bile acids, steroid hormones, and vitamin D. In vertebrates, it is formed predominantly in the liver. However, it is important and necessary for human health, high levels in the blood can damage arteries and result in cardiovascular disease.
Types of Cholesterol:
- LDL (low-density lipoproteins).
- HDL (high-density lipoproteins).
Causes of Cholesterol
- Excessive consumption of milk and dairy products like butter, ghee, ice cream, cheese.
- Too much consumption of red meat, white flour, eggs.
- Irregular smoking and drug addiction.
1. Coriander Seeds:
Scientists have confirmed that coriander has the ability to decrease your total cholesterol and triglycerides. Coriander seeds have potent hypoglycemic effects, meaning they are also great for diabetics.
How to Use:
- Combine a cup of water and 2 teaspoons of coriander seed powder.
- Boil the mixture for a few seconds, and strain.
- You can add some milk, sugar, and cardamom to taste.
- For optimal results drink it twice a day.
Turmeric has amazing wound healing properties. It reduces LDL cholesterol; hence, it can remove the plaque buildups on the walls of the arteries. Eventually, this will reduce your blood cholesterol.
How to Use:
- Add a dash of turmeric powder while cooking. This is one of the best ways to get the recommended daily amount of this powerful herb.
- You can also cook 1½ tablespoons of water, ¾ teaspoon turmeric and 2 tablespoons of previously cooked and mashed eggplant.
- Eat this paste with your favorite whole wheat bread and this may soon turn into your favorite snack.