Exercises to Reduce Love Handles Fat
The term “love handles” is a bit of a misnomer. In fact, when it comes to the sections of fat on the sides and front of your belly, there’s no love lost. Love handles are zones of “stubborn fat,” the first place guys gain it and the last it disappears. And sometimes, even though you’ve logged hours on the elliptical and the abs station, it can feel damn near impossible to get those little pockets of flab off your body.
Love handles those deposits of fat on the sides of the waist can be a challenge to get rid of. While exercises that work the muscles around the area will build muscle, they won’t target the fat there specifically. The only way to get rid of love handles is through an overall weight-loss program. How fast your love handles disappear once you lose weight depends a lot on genetics and body shape.
1. Single-Leg Cross Slide:
How to Do:
- From a straight-arm plank position (with towel folded under feet).
- Shift into a single-leg plank by bending left knee into chest and pressing inside of foot against inside of right knee.
- Engage abs and bend right knee, sliding towel in, so that both knees come to the outside of left elbow.
- Slide and extend right leg back out into single-leg plank. That’s one rep.
- Do 10 reps on the right, and then repeat on the left.
2. Bicycle Crunches:
How to Do:
- Lie on your back, knees bent.
- Place hands behind your head without interlacing your fingers. Lift your head slightly.
- Twist so that your left elbow goes toward your right knee while you extend your left leg.
- Pull your leg back in and extend the other leg, twisting so that your right elbow goes toward your left knee.
- Build up to 3 sets of 25 reps each.